Wednesday, May 13, 2009

faculty support!

This email was sent to Cappy this morning -- thank you Andrew Bush!

Dear Cappy,

I understand that a group of students is currently participating in a hunger strike in protest against administrative decisions affecting job security at Vassar. I write in support.I have been concentrating my own attention to job security only on questions pertaining to the faculty. The students do well to broaden the concern to include the job security of all College employees. I urge you to meet with them. I also support the students' position, as I understand it, that job security--that is, consideration of the material welfare of our own community--is among the very highest priorities of the College. I would much prefer to see the College pursue its new financial goals by cutting salaries for the best-paid amongst us, myself included, than to undermine the job security of employees with more modest incomes.My thanks for your attention and my best wishes, Andy

Andrew BushChair, HISP

No comments:

Post a Comment